Monday, March 5, 2007

R-Rated Movies: Saturn 3 and Ordinary People


This is also one of those things that used to drive me nuts about Mormonism's prohibition on R-rated movies -- the message of the movie could be highly moral or just, but its R-rating prohibited attendance. Now granted the first R-Rated Movie I went to was Saturn 3 so I could get a glimpse of Farrah's tit (see above for the actual shot from 1980), but the second R-Rated Movie I ever attended was Ordinary People, which featured no tits and haunts me twenty five years later.
Shakespeare would have probably got an R, if not an NC-17 for most of his stuff if it was played out the way he wrote it. The R-rated movie ban in Mormonism is simply a way to 1) make tits more titillating to young men -- although the Internet has probably made them blase by now and 2) to exercise paternalistic control over the mindless herd that can't tell great art from B-movie sleaze.

1 comment:

Sideon said...

Shhh. Don't tell. But it may have been in my teenager years in Playgirl that I saw a big write up on Douglas and Fawcett about the movie Saturn. Bigger secret: this pic from the movie was a turn on.

Yowza.